27 Signs You’re an Awesome Dog Mom
I can’t believe how lucky I am to be a dog mom. My Lab mix, Rio, brings so much joy and laughter and fun to my life – I love him like crazy! It’s something that’s impossible to explain to people who have never had a dog. Maybe that’s why many of my favorite people are dog moms – we share a special bond with our pups, and know loving our dogs enriches our lives in countless ways. There was even a study last year that showed gazing into a dog’s eyes produces the maternal bonding/happiness hormone oxytocin. So science agrees: life is better with dogs. That’s worth celebrating!
So in honor of our wonderful dogs, here are 27 signs you’re a dog mom, and proud of it:
- You ask if it’s OK to bring your dog to parties.
- You sleep in a tiny corner of the bed while your dog spreads out luxuriously.
- You watch the Puppy Bowl with as much excitement as a football fanatic watches the Superbowl.
- You whip out your phone to show photos of your dog to people you’ve just met.
- You think it’s super romantic when instead of jewelry, your partner gives you custom artwork of your dog or a “couture” poop bag purse.
- You Facetime or Skype with your dog when you’re apart.
- You engage in “social petworking” – your dog has his own Twitter, Facebook or Instagram page (actress Amanda Seyfried’s Aussie shepherd, Finn, has over 13,000 Twitter followers, for instance).
- You constantly share photos of your dog online with hashtags like #WoofWoofWednesday or #FurBabies or #KidsWithPaws or #LoveMyRescue or #DogLover.
- You give presents or throw a puppy shower when a friend gets a new dog.
- On a tender note, when a friend’s dog passes away, you send a sympathy card and make a donation to a nonprofit like the Dog and Cat Cancer Fund in memory of their dog.
- You watch “Marley & Me” when you need a really good cry.
- You consider looking at adoptable dogs on PetFinder.com “doggy porn” or as one friend calls it, “Doggy Tinder.”
- You leave social gatherings early because your dog has been home alone too long.
- You rock dog hair like a fashion accessory.
- You spell out words like “W-A-L-K” in the presence of your dog if it’s not actually time to go outside.
- Your dog was a bridesmaid or ring bearer in your wedding.
- You like the smell of wet dog.
- You have playdates with girlfriends to hike with your dogs or hit “yappy hours” at bars.
- You sign your dog’s name on cards and add a little paw print so people will know she “really” signed.
- Some of your favorite books have canine narrators, like Pam Houston’s “Sight Hound” (sob!) and W. Bruce Cameron’s “A Dog’s Purpose” (double sob!).
- Your dog answers to his name as well as “Baby,” “Sweet Pea,” “Little Love,” “Mr. Perfect Handsome Boy,” “Fuzzy Buddy” and/or many, many other terms of endearment.
- Your friends are always sharing inspiring or funny dog videos with you (So many people sent me “Cooper Loves Ice Cream” and I still laugh every time I watch it.)
- You make decisions based on how your dog would react (See: “This apartment is nice, but where’s the closest dog park?” and “Our dog loves kids – let’s have a baby!”)
- When you’re traveling without your dog, you make a special trip to a pet store to buy her a “surprise” for when you get home.
- People give you mugs or t-shirts with slogans like, “I’d go to the gym but my dog needs me” and “Dog Is My Co-Pilot” and “I don’t care who dies in the movie, as long as the dog lives.”
- You see a puppy and start wondering if your dog needs a sister or brother.
- You and your dog embrace the Zuke’s motto “Live Life Off Leash” together!
Award-winning pet writer Jen Reeder is a proud dog mom and member of the Dog Writers Association of America.